[abstract]ACCIDENTAL INGESTION OF CONCENTRATED HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

Rubicon Research Repository/Manakin Repository

[abstract]ACCIDENTAL INGESTION OF CONCENTRATED HYDROGEN PEROXIDE

Show full item record


Title: [abstract]ACCIDENTAL INGESTION OF CONCENTRATED HYDROGEN PEROXIDE
Author: Becker S
Abstract: BACKGROUND: Ingestion of just a small amount of industrial concentrations of hydrogen peroxide can create sufficient volumes of oxygen to form bubbles within the vascular system. When these bubbles become arterialized, permanent neurological deficits and fatal outcomes have been reported. OBJECTIVES: Attempt to overcome intravascular obstruction where bubbles remain. Hyperoxygenate areas of decreased cerebral blood flow and also attempt to decrease cerebral edema and minimize ischemia, which was a direct result of accidental ingestion of industrial concentration of hydrogen peroxide. METHODS: A 60-year-old white male inadvertently ingested approximately 15ccs of 35 percent hydrogen peroxide. Within five to 10 minutes following patient collapsed and EMS was called. He was transported via EMS to Chilton Hospital. Upon arrival to hospital, patient’s mental status became altered and he had multiple episodes of hematemesis. Poison control was called and case discussed with toxicologist, who agreed with securing airway, protonix, GI consult, endoscopy and hyperbaric treatment. After endoscopy, patient was transferred to ICU. Patient was being weaned off respirator, and it was discovered that patient was unable to move any extremities. Hyperbaric consult was requested and performed by Chilton Hospital M.D. Upon telephone consultation with a national hyperbaric expert, it was decided that patient may benefit from proceeding with U.S. Navy Treatment Table 6 in a monoplace hyperbaric delivery system. Following an extended Table 6, patient was moving upper extremities upon command. It was therefore, elected to continue with b.i.d. HBO2 at 2 atm abs. RESULTS: By treatment number 10 the patient was ambulatory, moving all extremities, alert and essentially neurologically intact, with only a loss of fine finger control in this left hand. He was then discharged from our service at that time. CONCLUSION: Contact with highly concentrated hydrogen peroxide is a potentially dangerous life-threatening event. It can enter the body via several routes. When ingested, large amounts of oxygen are generated and can be sufficient to form bubbles. Arterial embolization is a life-threatening emergency. Prompt diagnosis is imperative and provision of HBO2 therapy is the essential standard of care.
Description: Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine : Journal of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society, Inc.
URI: http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/10758
Date: 2013

Files in this item

Files Size Format View
abstract.txt 258bytes Text file View/Open

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • UHMS Meeting Abstracts
    This is a collection of the published abstracts from the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society (UHMS) annual meetings.

Show full item record

Browse

My Account